I decided to update my working PowerSpec Ultra 3D from the current Dreamer v2.15.20200917 to FlashForge_Marlin dreamer_126.96.36.199_01102022.
FF Firmware Writer did not want to work for updating the original firmware. I was able to perform the firmware update via the FlashPrint 5 Tools, Update Firmware menu. The firmware send was successful and showed success in writing the image on reboot of the printer. After the update, the initial boot screen was displayed, followed by a Marlin splash screen (all excited). Then after about 10 seconds, the controller rebooted, returned to the boot splash, then to the Marlin splash screen, and the cycle repeats... Power on/off or reset has no impact.
To recover, the FlashPrint firmware update would not work, but I was able to use FF FIrmware Write to restore the prior firmware from backup.
I did find two methods that worked to restore the prior firmware:
- Copy the old firmware to sys/dreamer.bin on printer internal SD, then use FF Firmware Writer to trigger the firmware update.
- Use FF Firmware Writer to download and trigger the firmware update to the prior version over USB. Interesting that FFFW works to restore the old version when stuck with a bad load of the new firmware.
So, I'm back to running the Dreamer firmware on my PowerSpec Ultra 3D.
My PowerSpec Ultra 3D configuration:
- Model No: PS3D-ULTRA
- Purchase: Mar-2016
- FlashForge CoreBoard Rev J, V 2.2
- FlashForge DriverBoard Rev E, V 2.3
- Firmware: Dreamer 2.15 20200917
I typically work with ABS, PETG, nylon, and TPU on a glass bed w/ Kapton tape (no bonding agents).
Any guidance for how I may assist in getting this to work on my is welcome.