A small portable C library to handle Apple Property List files in binary or XML format.
The project provides an interface to read and write plist files in binary or XML format alongside a command-line utility named
Some key features are:
- Formats: Supports binary and XML format
- Utility: Provides a
plistutilutility for the command-line
- Python: Provides Cython based bindings for Python
- Tested: Uses fuzzing and data compliance tests
- Efficient: Lean library with performance and resources in mind
Installation / Getting started
Debian / Ubuntu Linux
First install all required dependencies and build tools:
sudo apt-get install \ build-essential \ checkinstall \ git \ autoconf \ automake \ libtool-bin
If you want to optionally build the documentation or Python bindings use:
sudo apt-get install \ doxygen \ cython
Then clone the actual project repository:
git clone https://github.com/libimobiledevice/libplist.git cd libplist
Now you can build and install it:
./autogen.sh make sudo make install
Then simply run:
plistutil -i foobar.plist -o output.plist
This converts the
foobar.plist file to the opposite format, e.g. binary to XML or vice versa, and outputs it to the
Please consult the usage information or manual page for a full documentation of available command line options:
plistutil --help man plistutil
We welcome contributions from anyone and are grateful for every pull request!
If you'd like to contribute, please fork the
master branch, change, commit and send a pull request for review. Once approved it can be merged into the main code base.
If you plan to contribute larger changes or a major refactoring, please create a ticket first to discuss the idea upfront to ensure less effort for everyone.
Please make sure your contribution adheres to:
- Try to follow the code style of the project
- Commit messages should describe the change well without being too short
- Try to split larger changes into individual commits of a common domain
- Use your real name and a valid email address for your commits
We are still working on the guidelines so bear with us!
- Homepage: https://libimobiledevice.org/
- Repository: https://git.libimobiledevice.org/libplist.git
- Repository (Mirror): https://github.com/libimobiledevice/libplist.git
- Issue Tracker: https://github.com/libimobiledevice/libplist/issues
- Mailing List: https://lists.libimobiledevice.org/mailman/listinfo/libimobiledevice-devel
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/libimobiledev
This project is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License v2.1, also included in the repository in the
Apple, iPhone, iPad, iPod, iPod Touch, Apple TV, Apple Watch, Mac, iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, watchOS, and macOS are trademarks of Apple Inc.
This project is an independent software library and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Apple Inc.
README Updated on: 2020-06-12