WAR stands for Wordle Answer and Resolver
Wordle is a web-based word game developed by Welsh-born software engineer Josh Wardle, formerly an employee of Reddit. Players attempt to guess a five-letter word in six attempts; feedback, in the form of colored tiles, is given for each guess, informing players which letters are in the correct position and which are in other positions of the answer word. (source)
We created a solver from scratch that uses a simple algorithm built upon the basic rules of the game and a couple of predetermined useful predictions to solve Wordle. There are no search/decision trees, learning models or intelligent agents; just plain old DSA. The algo has still managed to reach avg. levels of predictions that are less than 0.25 away from the best known automated solver (avg. 3.42).
- Time taken to build: 6 hours
- Average no. of predictions required: 3.67689
- Average time taken to solve: < 200 microseconds
- No. of words failed (i.e. take more than 6 predictions): 13
- Compile and run
- Use the prediction provided by the algorithm.
- Enter the feedback in the form of "BYGBY", where
Bstands for black/grey.
Ystands for yellow.
Gstands for green.
- Repeat until you win.
Yeluri Ketan - Undergraduate, Computer Science, NUS '24
Avinash Changrani - Undergraduate, Computer Science, IIITDM Kancheepuram '24