m1n1: an experimentation playground for Apple Silicon
(And to some extent a Linux bootloader)
You need an
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc cross-compiler toolchain (or a native one, if running on ARM64). You also need
dtc (the devicetree compiler) and
convert (from ImageMagick) for the boot logos.
$ git clone --recursive https://github.com/AsahiLinux/m1n1.git $ cd m1n1 $ make
The output will be in build/m1n1.macho.
To build on a native arm64 machine, use
Building using the container setup
If you have a container runtime installed, like Podman or Docker, you can make use of the compose setup, which contains all build dependencies.
$ git clone --recursive https://github.com/AsahiLinux/m1n1.git $ cd m1n1 $ podman-compose run m1n1 make $ # or $ docker-compose run m1n1 make
Our developer quickstart guide has more information on how to use m1n1.
m1n1 supports running payloads by simple concatenation:
$ cat build/m1n1.macho Image.gz build/dtb/apple-j274.dtb initramfs.cpio.gz > m1n1-payload.macho
Supported payload file formats:
- Kernel images (or compatible). Must be compressed or last payload.
- Devicetree blobs (FDT). May be uncompressed or compressed.
- Initramfs cpio images. Must be compressed.
Supported compression formats:
m1n1 is licensed under the MIT license, as included in the LICENSE file.
- Copyright (C) 2021 The Asahi Linux contributors
Please see the Git history for authorship information.
Portions of m1n1 are based on mini:
- Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Hector Martin "marcan" [email protected]
- Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Sven Peter [email protected]
- Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Andre Heider [email protected]
- Copyright (C) 2014 David Gibson [email protected]
- Copyright (C) 2018 embedded brains GmbH
- Copyright (C) 2006-2012 David Gibson, IBM Corporation.
- Copyright (C) 2012 David Gibson, IBM Corporation.
- Copyright 2012 Kim Phillips, Freescale Semiconductor.
- Copyright (C) 2016 Free Electrons
- Copyright (C) 2016 NextThing Co.
The ADT code in mini is also based on libfdt and subject to the same license.
- Copyright (c) 2020 Alex Ionescu
- Copyright (c) 2003-2019 Joergen Ibsen
- Copyright (c) 2013-2020, ARM Limited and Contributors. All rights reserved.
m1n1 embeds Doug Lea's malloc (dlmalloc), which is in the public domain (CC0).