Thorium-Win IMPORTANT: Use right click > properties and change compatability mode to Windows 7 or 8 when running on Windows 10 or 11, this is an upstream bug and will be fixed at a later date. NOTE: Scripts need to be updated/modified to batch files for use on windows. See below.
Commands in trunk.sh can be used, modified for the location of files. Commands in setup.sh cannot be used, and instead just copy/paste the folders the way the script would instruct linux to. Commands in clean.sh can be used EXCEPT the "find . -name", and one must substitute "rm -r -v" for "rmdir /s" on windows. Future work will convert the commands to windows equivalents and rename the scripts to .bat.
Chromium fork for windows named after radioactive element No. 90, windows builds of https://github.com/Alex313031/Thorium
https://github.com/Alex313031/ThoriumChromium fork for windows named after radioactive element No. 90, windows builds of
- Always built with latest x64 tip-o-tree "Trunk" build of chromium \
- Intended to behave the most like Google Chrome, with differences listed below. \
– Includes Widevine, FFmpeg, Chrome Plugins, as well as thinLTO and PGO compiler optimizations. It is built with SSE3 and AVX, so it won't launch on CPU's below 2nd gen Core or AMD FX, but benefits from Advanced Vector EXtensions. You can disable this and use regular SSE3 like Chromium and Chrome. (See below.)
EXPERIMENTAL FEATURES/DIFFERENCES BETWEEN CHROMIUM AND THORIUM
- Experimental MPEG-DASH.
- Experimental PDF annotation support (called "Ink" on ChromiumOS).
- Patches from Debian including font rendering patch, VAAPI Patch, native notifications patch, title bar patch, and... the VDPAU Patch!! (Rejoice Nvidia users)
- DoH (DNS over HTTPS) patches from Bromite.
- Enable Do Not Track by default patch from Vanadium.
- Disable Google API Key warning (you can still use API Keys to enable sync), from Ungoogled Chromium.
- Includes DuckDuckGo and Ask.com in all locales, along with normal search engines, from Ubuntu.
- Logo and Branding/Naming changed to Thorium logo, Thorium name, and "Alex313031" being appended to "The Chromium Authors" in credits, etc.
- Includes installer patches and files to include ChromeDriver and content_shell, you will need to make shortcuts to these if you wish. (Thorium is installed to C:\Users$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Chromium\Application\ )
– args.gn exclude API Keys (you can get them yourself) and the pgo profile path is different for each chromium version. (See below.)
In general follow build instructions at https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/refs/heads/main/docs/windows_build_instructions.md and API Keys (if desired) at https://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/api-keys
The batch scripts assume the Chromium source is at C:\chromiums\src.
- After initial download of Chromium source code, run (from where you cloned this repo)
trunk.bat. This will update and sync the sources and at the end it will download the PGO profile for chromium. The file will be downloaded to C:\chromium\src\chrome\build\pgo_profiles*.profdata with the actual file name looking something like 'chrome-linux-main-1632505958-ddbb37bcdfa7dbd7b10cf3a9b6a5bc45e7a958a6.profdata', which should be added to the end of args.gn as per below.
- Then (from where you cloned this repo) run
setup.bat. This will copy all the files and patches to the needed locations and drop you to C:\chromium\src.
gn args out/thoriumand the contents of 'args.gn' in this repo should be copy/pasted into the editor. --Include your api keys here at the top or leave blank, and edit the last line to point to the actual path and file name of '*.profdata'
- 'args.list' contains an alphabetical list with descriptions of all possible build arguments.
- To build, run
autoninja -j8 -C out\thorium chrome content_shell chromedriver -d statsThe -j# can be changed to limit or increase the number of jobs (generally should be the number of CPU cores on your machine), and the -d stats at the end just shows better verbose stats during compiling. Chromedriver is optional and builds chromedriver, the selenium compatible browser fuzzing library.
- To install, copy/paste the contents of your out/thorium dir to a good location i.e. C:\Users$USERNAME\bin\thorium. RECOMMENDED - Copy and run clean.bat within this dir to clean up build artifacts. Then you can just run the browser with
\\bin\thorium\chromeor the content_shell with
- Proper Install: To install with a .exe, dont copy the contents of out/thorium, instead run
autoninja -C out\thorium mini_installerA nice mini_installer.exe file will now be in out\thorium and you can install it by double clicking. NOTE: To get back to "Trunk", i.e. to revert all changes in order to build vanilla chromium, just run
NOTE: To compile without AVX, simply go to \chromium\src\build\config\win\BUILD.gn, search for mavx, and replace mavx with msse3.
−Thanks to https://github.com/robrich999/ for some info that went into this project.
−Also thanks to https://github.com/bromite/bromite, https://github.com/saiarcot895/chromium-ubuntu-build, https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium, and https://github.com/GrapheneOS/Vanadium for patch code.